Who Nose your B-day (bidet) ?

Do you know what a nose bidet is? I know bidets’ from those found on the sides of the toilet bowl - usually in large 5 - star hotels and perhaps very big homes. But a nose bidet whaaaaat is that? The first time I heard of a nose bidet was from a friend who does yoga. In one of our conversations recently, she mentioned that a nose bidet can very well help sinusitis sufferers. A nose bidet or a neti pot is used to clean your nose much the same way as a toothbrush to our teeth and gums. It looks like Alladin's Lamp, actually.

From Jakarta, my daughter called yesterday, complaining that she’s been breathing And through her nose for 3 straight days because it is totally congested and clogged. She suffers from sinusitis, you see.

My research revealed that in India, Ayurvedics and and Yoga practitioners have been using neti pot for thousands of years. "Neti is one of the 6 purification techniques performed prior to practicing yoga as a way of preparing the body for the yoga practice.

While there exist advanced techniques using various herbal oils and herbs, the simplest Neti technique uses water for the irrigation process. Lukewarm water is used to gently cleanse the nasal passages. A soothing, gentle stream of salt water, the same concentration as tears, flows through your nose, washing away pollens, mucus, viruses and bacteria. Use of a neti pot is recommended to ease this process.

Many health practitioners consider the nasal passages to be the doorway for most diseases. The nasal passage, with its finely-tuned mechanism of hairs and mucus membranes, which are intended to catch and restrain foreign entities from entering our bodies, actually is one of the ways nature protects us from diseases. Unfortunately, this filtering mechanism can become overloaded through high exposure to pollution, chemicals, fragrances, pollen and dust. Cleansing this filter regularly allows it to operate more efficiently.

A simple yet very powerful technique, neti works wonders for chronic sinusitis, and allergies. It has a remarkable effect on upper respiratory tract infections, especially hay fever.

Your neti pot should be right for YOUR nostrils: Choose a neti pot with a smoothly tapered conical tip at the spout end. This facilitates support on the nostril walls of varying sizes. More importantly, this minimizes spillage as it 'plugs' the inlet nostril.

A neti pot is filled with warm, slightly salted water and the spout of the pot is inserted into one nostril. The position of the head and pot are adjusted to allow the water to flow out of the other nostril. The technique is not as uncomfortable or difficult as you may think at first. You will be pleasantly surprised at this simple and effective practice for maintaining your health. Once learned, neti can be done in about 3 minutes and is easily integrated into a daily routine of body cleansing such as showering or brushing your teeth."

And this is how I did my first neti pot experience.

1. I prepared a saline solution. That's about 8 ounces of lukewarm water in a big glass. I dissolved 1/4 teaspoon of non-iodized salt into the glass of water.
2. Completely dissolved I poured it into the neti pot. I have been advised not to use hot water for obvious reasons. Not even cold water because that could irritate.
3. So, I tilted my head to the left side. In an almost bowing position, I inserted the neti pot spout gently into my right nostril creating a seal between the neti pot and the nostril.
4. I just relaxed and watched how water flowed through from my right nostril to the left. I used my mouth to breathe while doing the process. It is important to really feel relaxed. No use forcing it through.
5. Now do the same process while tilting your head to the right. Raise the neti pot slowly to develop a steady flow of saline solution through the left nostril into the right. It is important to remember to breathe through the mouth during the process.
6. When you're done, exhale firmly several times to clear the nasal passages.
7. Wipe the mucus that should form as a result of the process.

I have been on neti for 4 days now and I observed that my facial skin slightly cleared of the usual oil I have in the mornings. Perhaps, just a coincidence. I am not sure but I will find out as I continue to use it.

The above description is also for the benefit of my daughter who will read this post for the instructions.

The picture of the neti pot in this post is one that I have owned since 1990. I thought it was a 'blue and white' home decor because it was a gift from my partner who brought it from his trip in Vietnam. Now, I find out it is something for smoother sinus function. Whoopee!

Popular posts from this blog

Vitamin C - Sodium Ascorbate

Forgive and Forget?

Through a Timeline No Sham